It doesn't always take a ton of bricks for you to feel like you were just hit by one. A few days ago I came across video on Facebook that slapped me across the face with a huge wake up call. It was just a remix of a song but something about the music and the visual made me stop and take a mini inventory of my life. And while I am very proud of everything I've accomplished in the past 8 years, I want stories to tell. I want to be able to sit down with my kids and tell them about being humbled when I stood at a temple in India or how I was a kick ass surfer who danced 'til dawn on the playa. I want to find freedom on a mountain top and silence in the ocean before I become a suburban housewife, and after. I was born with magic in my blood and I refuse to give up that potential without fulfilling it.
In the spirit of learning who I am, I have decided to dedicate the next 2 years to blowing up my boundaries and doing all of the things I only wanted to do in dreams instead of waiting for my 20s to silently expire. While I do have a day job to keep, saving to build and a time limit to consider, I've come up with 30 things for me to do before August 26, 2014--when I turn 30--that are ambitious, international, totally doable AND full of magic.
So here's my 30 before 30. If anything on here seems like a shock, you probably don't know me outside of the internet. And didn't I say I'm a beautifully strange amalgam of Beyonce, Carrie Bradshaw and Lisa Bonet? Keep that in mind...here'd the list.
- Go to Burning Man
- Go Paleo for 30 days
- Publish my 1st book (OK this is SUPER ambitious and totally doable.)
- Learn the art of trapeze
- Go backpacking through Europe
- Celebrate Durga Puja in Kolkata aka Calcutta
- Map out my family tree.
- Throw a proper dinner party, with food I actually cooked. (I can burn. Lafayette voice)
- Finish reading those half read books on my shelf.
- Watch the sunrise over the ocean.
- Take a good old fashioned American road trip.
- Learn how to surf.
- Make my apartment beautiful.
- Spend the weekend with Gabby B at Spirit Junkie summer camp at Kirpalu.
- Finish a Course in Miracles.
- 30 days of getting my yoga on.
- Get published in a national glossy.
- Go to the shows (not work them) at NYC Fashion Week.
- Get my savings on!
- Add one pair of Louboutins to my closet.
- Become fluent in French.
- Learn the art of burlesque.
- Run a marathon....did I mention I don't run at all.
- Hike the Appalachian Trail.
- Go to a music festival that is not Jazz Fest or Voodoo.
- Bungee jump.
- Visit the Grand Canyon
- Give snowboarding a try
- Learn how to make a stiff martini
- Follow through.
I find it fair to mention that I have an intense fear of flying that I intend to conquer during the course of these experiences. That's technically number .1 on the list.